You are not a member of this wiki.
Mobile Gov Wiki
Contribute to our Wiki
Complete Page List
Pages and Files
Accessibility Testing Resources
Additional Testing Resources
Guidelines to Testing
Functionality and Usability Testing Resources
Performance Testing Resources
Security and Privacy Testing Resources
Accessibility testing is a subset of usability testing and is the inclusive practice of making websites and mobile applications usable by people of all abilities and disabilities. You do this by testing mobile websites and/or applications on all leading browsers, mobile devices and screen readers.
Accessibility and Section 508 Compliance laws and rules apply to mobile products just as they do to websites and other federal products.
Currently, there are no clear Section 508 rules for native apps. However, web apps
be fully accessible and Section 508 compliant.
Please reference the following guidance when doing Accessibility testing.
Compliance and Accessibility Draft Practices
HowTo.gov's Section 508
Mobile Gov Wiki on Accessibility
Listed below are resources available that further describe and conduct accessibility testing. These services/companies or websites are offered as a sample of what is currently available for accessibility testing and do not indicate an endorsement of them or their products and/or services.
Accessibility Management Platform
- page from the SSB Bart Group on the Accessibility Management Platform (AMP).
Enable Accessibility on Android devices and activate a screen reader (
is preinstalled on many devices). Other screen readers and text-to-speech libraries are free in the Android Market.
Applications should be tested on a production screen reader or other assistive technology application that is installed on a BlackBerry device.
Accessibility Inspector in iOS Simulator
– checks elements for accessibility in an application
VoiceOver on device
– screen reader for those with impaired vision
Mobile Accessibility Guidelines
- blog post from Henny Swan listing mobile accessibility guidelines.
Mobile Accessibility Tests
- blog post from Henny Swan with a guide on mobile accessibility tests.
Mobile Web and App Development Testing and Emulation Tools
- article listing free tools for mobile web and app development testing and emulation.
Setting up iOS and Android for Mobile Accessibility Testing
- blog post discussing how to set up iOS and Android for mobile accessibility testing.
- a free website validator tool.
W3C MobileOK Checker
- the W3C MobileOK Checker site.
- non-profit website with comprehensive web accessibility resources.
Why Mobile Web Accessibility Matters
- article discussing best practices to make a mobile site accessible.
These services/companies or web sites are offered as a sample of what is currently available and do not indicate an endorsement of them or their products and/or services. Agencies should consult their Accessibility experts about other mobile accessibility tools.
AMP (Accessibility Management Platform)
(for native apps)
W3C Markup Validation Service
Test Plans/Checklists available on GitHub
The test plans listed below are government test plans, cases or checklists that have been uploaded to GitHub and are available as samples and/or for use.
Department of Labor
- a selection of test cases used to test accessibility and Section 508 compliance of mobile applications
help on how to format text
GSA Mobile PMO
Contributions to http://mobilegovwiki.howto.gov/ are licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution Share-Alike 3.0 License
Portions not contributed by visitors are Copyright 2014 Tangient LLC
Turn off "Getting Started"